1.05.2010

No Idea's Original

It’s rare that I look forward to anything on the internet, not because I’m a curmudgeon, it’s just that the flow of new things is so constant I don’t have time to get excited. An exception to that rule is Street Etiquette’s ‘Genesis of Style’ project. While I am excited about the project itself, what I’m really excited about is the shift in menswear blogging it represents.

Last year was all about craftsmanship. Somewhere in all this gusset and yoke talk, the relationship between wearer and clothes became secondary. Don’t get me wrong, I like the details, but there was a point where it all got boring. I love music too, but I don’t want to know how Thom Yorke tunes his guitar.

It goes without saying that workwear took shit over last year. Chambray shirts, indigo denim, brogues and a hastily grown beard was the unofficial uniform of the new workwear aficionado. An annoying side-effect of this rise was the increased amount of negative comments on anything that was deemed as feminine. I wouldn’t mind this if we spent all day featuring frilly skirts and dresses, but the idea of feminine clothes stretched to anything that wasn’t blue, grey or black.

While these comments annoyed me for a few reasons - ignorance, homophobia and general stupidity to name a few - what really ground my gears was that comments like these totally ignored the relationship between clothes and wearer – the most important factor in clothing. As a wise man once said, it’s never what you do but how it’s done. Maybe we’ll get back to that this year.

CRUSH GROOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment